[sword-devel] per Jonathan Hughes suggestion

Jason Reynolds sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:05:00 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1DC2D.257E0760

Dear Dev list,

Jonathan encouraged me to send this to the whole dev list in hopes some of
you would kindly respond with comments.  I am all ears!

1)  I am building community websites for churches.  I do it in my spare time
for free.  I am not a web programmer, but I am technical enough to be able
to do Sys admin/ installation type work.  We are using the Open-Source
software:  HTTP://Postnuke.com

My first question is....is there a PHP front-end to the sword project?  Do
you know anyone that would be willing to build one?  Is there maybe some
other PHP option for interfacing with the diatheke/CLI command line
interface.  Secondly, how is the sword project software installed for web
applications that don't use CGI?  For instance, how have people accessed it
when running M$ ASP?  Does it work much like a flat file database in terms
of the front end making calls to it, etc.?  Where does all the data go
within the web server directory...i.e. will any old host do?

2)  This is more of a theory question than anything else.  I hope to launch
a site by end of the summer called OpenSourceChurch.com  It will be a site
for the promotion of "free" software and knowledge resources amongst the
body of Christ.  The focus will not just be within the dev community.  My
ultimate end goal is to gather together the world's Christian hackers to
work on a select number of projects, including:
a)  A specialized Content Management System distribution (probably based on
Postnuke),
b)  a church/donor management solution (probably based on
http://www.compiere.org/ or http://www.gnuenterprise.org/),
c)  a ministry management solution (using the baseline of an open-source
trouble ticket system), and
d)  some type of web-filtering software (much like "Websense").
All but the last will be web based.

I also would like to promote open-source documents and knowledge.  I wonder
if some of you could share with me a bit of your vision for making various
information forms available freely to the global church.  Also, how do you
think I should position the website and how might I attract the best
programmers and project managers for this work?

Many thanks in advance for all your comments.  I am truly open for this to
be whatever it is meant to be!

Graciously yours,

Jason Reynolds

Telecommunications Manager-IT
Insight for Living

JasonR@Insight.org

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1DC2D.257E0760

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>per Jonathan Hughes suggestion</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Dear Dev list,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Jonathan encouraged me to send this to the whole dev =
list in hopes some of you would kindly respond with comments.&nbsp; I =
am all ears!</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>1)&nbsp; I am building community websites for =
churches.&nbsp; I do it in my spare time for free.&nbsp; I am not a web =
programmer, but I am technical enough to be able to do Sys admin/ =
installation type work.&nbsp; We are using the Open-Source =
software:&nbsp; <A HREF=3D"HTTP://Postnuke.com" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">HTTP://Postnuke.com</A>&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My first question is....is there a PHP front-end to =
the sword project?&nbsp; Do you know anyone that would be willing to =
build one?&nbsp; Is there maybe some other PHP option for interfacing =
with the diatheke/CLI command line interface.&nbsp; Secondly, how is =
the sword project software installed for web applications that don't =
use CGI?&nbsp; For instance, how have people accessed it when running =
M$ ASP?&nbsp; Does it work much like a flat file database in terms of =
the front end making calls to it, etc.?&nbsp; Where does all the data =
go within the web server directory...i.e. will any old host =
do?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>2)&nbsp; This is more of a theory question than =
anything else.&nbsp; I hope to launch a site by end of the summer =
called OpenSourceChurch.com&nbsp; It will be a site for the promotion =
of &quot;free&quot; software and knowledge resources amongst the body =
of Christ.&nbsp; The focus will not just be within the dev =
community.&nbsp; My ultimate end goal is to gather together the world's =
Christian hackers to work on a select number of projects, including: =
</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>a)&nbsp; A specialized Content Management System =
distribution (probably based on Postnuke), </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>b)&nbsp; a church/donor management solution =
(probably based on <A HREF=3D"http://www.compiere.org/" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.compiere.org/</A> or <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.gnuenterprise.org/" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.gnuenterprise.org/</A>), </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>c)&nbsp; a ministry management solution (using the =
baseline of an open-source trouble ticket system), and </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>d)&nbsp; some type of web-filtering software (much =
like &quot;Websense&quot;).&nbsp; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>All but the last will be web based.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I also would like to promote open-source documents =
and knowledge.&nbsp; I wonder if some of you could share with me a bit =
of your vision for making various information forms available freely to =
the global church.&nbsp; Also, how do you think I should position the =
website and how might I attract the best programmers and project =
managers for this work?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Many thanks in advance for all your comments.&nbsp; I =
am truly open for this to be whatever it is meant to be!</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Graciously yours,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Jason Reynolds</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Telecommunications Manager-IT</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Insight for Living</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>JasonR@Insight.org</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>