[sword-devel] Faster searching wanted

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:22:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Nathan <nathany@mac.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I'll try to find out what searching code is out there that
> could be used. That doesn't necessarily mean I will implement it -
> not really my area.

I did a similar search recently. The best I could find was ht://dig
(http://www.htdig.org/) where there is an API set providing most of the
things I would want. The largest omission as far as I'm concerned is
collocation (i.e. word adjacency, within paragraph). It is limited to
within "record", which in its primary usage is a web page. A beta of their
v3.2 has phrase searching with proximity searching being "added in a
future beta".

A quick Google search found me Search Tools
(http://www.searchtools.com/tools/). It isn't clear which of these are
Open Source and which are proprietary. I know that the list is incomplete,
for example the proprietary system I use (and which I helped to develop)
is not listed. Also there's a further API library (from a french or
French/Canadaian University) that isn't listed. [It's possible that I've
confused this APIU witht he ht://dig one.]

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/ or http://www.bsl-march.co.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!