[sword-devel] More Splashes

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:26:24 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, David Trotz <dtrotzjr@arilion.com> wrote:

> > "Why have a splash screen at all?!!!" Whenever I see a splash screen on a
> > Apple Mac or a Windows PC I think --- bloated code.
>
> Trevor although you are entitled to your opinion, I think there is something
> you might of forgotten, and that is the end user.

Actually I AM arguing for the end-user! That a program takes ages to load
and therefore the user needs to be entertained is not an end-user
requirement. In general it's a cover-up for shoddy coding---not that I'm
suggesting that any code within Sword is shoddy.

> Although most of us here
> are more "advanced" and technical users of our computers and we know the
> program is loading when we click on it and some believe that splash screens
> are for sissies the truth is users like things like splash screens. It helps
> them to see that something is happening while the program is loading.

Actually a better technical solution (and one which the end-users would
really embrace) is to have the program load instantly. To be there ready
for use milliseconds after they click and icon or press return.

> If
> anything irks me it is the fact that developers forget the end user and make
> programs unintuitive and very UGLY. If we write software for them we need to
> cater it to them as well.

I agree. Too many products out there that flagrantly break the GUI
conventions simply because the programmers want to.

> > I would rather that time spent creating splash screens was given over to
> > optimising the code, particularly to delaying initialisation until such
> > time as the functionality is requested.
>
> If one person was working on everything I could see your point but it isn't
> that way. The one who is making the splash screen is not skilled in C++ and
> felt this was a very good way to become involved and contribute. So how is
> development time being used up? Plus the coding time to add a splash screen
> took me ten minutes.
>
> I do want to welcome you to join us in our efforts and help "optimize" our
> code so we can avoid that "code bloat" and make that splash screen only last
> a split second, now that would be cool.

Of course, the ultimate optimisation would be such that the splash screen
is no longer needed.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/ or http://www.bsl-march.co.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!