[sword-devel] New Website, Changes and HowTo

Timothy R. Butler sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:56:06 -0500

Hi Chris,
> >   I was just curious, is there a reason you are using jsp's?
> > I've had very
> > good success with HTML w/ SSI's and Perl for accomplishing
> > most things, and
> > APACHE works out of the box with SSI's...
>
> It's mostly because Troy wanted them. :)

  Ah, sounds reasonable. :-)

> We had everything running with HTML & SSIs, but there's not a whole lot
> you can do with them.  JSPs let us do anything Java can do, which is an
> awful lot.  Perl isn't well suited to our purpose, which is basically
> the ASP/JSP/SSI style of adding special tags to embed code in otherwise

  Yeah, that makes sense. What I meant with Perl was embedding a Perl script
into the code via an SSI exec call, but that is still less efficent then
directly placing the code in the same file.

> normal HTML.  PHP would have worked, but the Servlet engine was already
> installed.  We also need JSPs to interface with the JSword stuff to
> serve modules.

  That is a really interesting idea, thanks for giving me a better idea of
what the JSP's are used for. I will have to check out the CVS module some
time and see exactly what JSP code looks like.

  -Tim

Timothy R. Butler                              Universal Networks
tbutler@uninetsolutions.com           ICQ #12495932 AIM: Uninettm
Free/Open Source Web Tools:        http://www.uninetsolutions.com
Christian Portal and Search Tool:        http://www.faithtree.com
============== "Christian Web Services Since 1996" ==============