[sword-devel] New Website, Changes and HowTo

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:35:10 -0700

> > 1:  If anyone is familiar with the APACHE web server, I am
> installing
> > it on my computer to test out the .jsp pages...  Are there any
> > particular plug-ins I need to add in order to view .jsp
> files locally
> > w/ APACHE installed?

You'll have to set up Jakarta (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/) or
Jserv (http://java.apache.org/) to run JSPs on Apache.  Alternately you
could try Sun's iPlanet webserver, which has JSP support built in.

>   I was just curious, is there a reason you are using jsp's?
> I've had very
> good success with HTML w/ SSI's and Perl for accomplishing
> most things, and
> APACHE works out of the box with SSI's...

It's mostly because Troy wanted them. :)
We had everything running with HTML & SSIs, but there's not a whole lot
you can do with them.  JSPs let us do anything Java can do, which is an
awful lot.  Perl isn't well suited to our purpose, which is basically
the ASP/JSP/SSI style of adding special tags to embed code in otherwise
normal HTML.  PHP would have worked, but the Servlet engine was already
installed.  We also need JSPs to interface with the JSword stuff to
serve modules.

--Chris