[sword-devel] expanding the Sword canon

David J Ring Jr sword-devel@crosswire.org
24 Nov 2001 23:02:32 -0000

Don,

These are the books that appear in the Greek Old Testament, and were part of the Bible that Jesus and his followers were familiar with.

Despite their sometimes controversial nature, it was a surprise and shock for some to see Hebrew scrolls of these books in the well preserved Dead Sea Scrolls - which was an absolutely amazing find.  To find scrolls that were readable and intact that were over two thousand years old...

Parts (at least) of these books were found in Hebrew - so that was more information about these books.

When Christ was walking the Earth, these were the books that were in use, but they were culled from the "official" list by the Jews later in the first Century A.D.

One thing that surprises many is that the first edition of the King James Authorized Version (KJV) 1633 (if my memory still works!) is that ALL these books were included in the volume.

You are doing yourself a disservice from not reading them.

The New Revised Standard Bible - has even more books - as the Orthodox Christians have more books than the Catholics which have more books than the Protestants.  I know they have Psalm 151 and other writings.

David Ring