[sword-devel] expanding the Sword canon

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 20:17:51 +0100

Hi Chris,

> As I'm sure many of you know, Sword is currently limited to the 66 book
> canon of the Protestant Bible.  That leaves us unable to handle other
> important canons and the Apocrypha.  I would propose expanding our
> "canon" to 88 books that cover every book used in Protestant, Catholic,
> & Orthodox churches and it all original language texts (BHS, GNT, LXX, &
> Vulgate).  I think our current canon should comprise the first 66 books
> in any case, but we may want to set up a mechanism by which books can be
> re-ordered so that, for example, the Catholic deuterocanon can be placed
> between the OT & NT.  ...

I am very fond of the idea of having different versification schemes in
sword. This is not a matter of personal preference or religious propagation
but merely scientific correctness. It is very good to display the documents
(historic sources) as they are.

I don't know how this can be done technically. But it would be nice to
support a mechansim which is flexible enough for any kind of versification
scheme rather than introducing a set of new static schemes. Modules could
then define their own exact versification with adding, removing, splitting,
merging and reordering of books, chapters and verses. And to have some
mechanism in place to sync different modules, allowing a truly parallel
display.

Martin