[sword-devel] Some Win32 Suggestions

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:49:09 -0700

Hello all,
I just finished my color schemes task this last weekend. Troy has the patch
and hopefully everyone will reap the benefits soon. One issue I came across
with making a patch was what to do about those .dfm files for forms in
Borland. In release 5.0 of Borland C++ Builder they added the option to save
forms as text, which I suggest we do. I am not sure how diff handles binary
files for making a patch but I think that if we change all our forms to save
as text format the diff program can make a patch for those too. As it stands
now I had to send the modified .dfm form file separately for my last patch.
So I did a little research and some forms are being saved as text and some
are not. The following forms are not:

editentryfrm.dfm
bookmarkfrm.dfm
AboutBoxfrm.dfm
ModInstForm.dfm
newbmfilefrm.dfm
searchfrm.dfm
versesel.dfm
vrslstfrm.dfm

Also the devotions splash screen is nice but I am wondering if we can change
it from a splash screen to something more like the tip of the day dialog
that pops up after the program is loaded. It can have a little check box off
to the bottom left corner that allows the user to turn them off easily if
they want. There are two reasons for this. 1) is that I always miss the
devotional quote because the splash dialog is so over-powering on the screen
2) Then sword could have a real splash screen that would show while sword is
actually loading in the background. If these are acceptable ideas I can work
on them myself, or if someone else wants to that is fine with me.

Another idea I have that I am not ready to work on just yet, is adding the
ability to right click on a windows and choose "Print Chapter" or "Print
Book". I haven't learned how to print with Borland yet so this would be a
while in the making, but I thought I would toss a few ideas your way to see
what the general consensus is.

Finally I noticed a bug in the more recent builds of sword. I am not sure if
the new richedit component is causing this but when I copy paste text from
sword to WordPad some of the text is only half showing. In Word 2000 it
works correctly. I am not sure what is causing it.

That's all for now. I am interested in any feedback you all have.

In Christ,
David Trotz