[sword-devel] Compile Options (fwd)

nic sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:28:29 +1000 (EST)

[following up on some compile options]

hi there all...  :)

> A great idea. Are you familiar with the automake / autoconf tools?
> If yes, why don't you go ahead and create the necessary files?
> This upgrade would greatly increase the usability of sword.

hmmm, just had a quick look (I'm not familiar with autoconf, etc), and
unfortunately I don't have time to get to know it before 1.5.2, but
perhaps I'll make myself familiar with it?  unless someone else already
understands how to get it all up and running in 5 seconds?

but a quick hack that may work (not sure?):
I added the lines:

UNAME_ARCH = `uname -m`
UNAME_CPU = ${UNAME_ARCH}

under the "#compiler" section in the Makefile.cfg
and changed the intel check from -m486 to be:

ifeq ($(system),intel)
CFLAGS   += -mcpu=${UNAME_CPU} -march=${UNAME_ARCH}
endif

NOW, I've only tested this under Mandrake 7.2, so have to idea what this
shall do to other systems...  ;)  but that's my 2 cents of effort with the
amount of time I have free this week...  what it's doing is this:
The string "`uname -m`" is being passed to the command line, and so each
time gcc is being called, uname is being called to figure out the arch of
the machine...

Anyway, warned you it was a hack...  :)

nic...  :)

ps: thanks for that info on WINE...  just thought it might be easier to
combine all frontend efforts into a single project, and cut down
duplicated effort...  :)

--

"Morality may keep you out of jail, but it takes
 the blood of Christ to keep you out of Hell."

 Interested in finding out more about God, Jesus,
     Christianity and "the meaning of life"?
      Visit http://www.christianity.net.au