[sword-devel] Compile Options

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:12:13 +0200

> how about having configure scripts so that if ppl compile it themselves,
> it will compile for their cpu/s, otherwise set -march=i386 (lowest common
> denominator)...

A great idea. Are you familiar with the automake / autoconf tools?
If yes, why don't you go ahead and create the necessary files?
This upgrade would greatly increase the usability of sword.

> A question while I'm here -- has anyone ever tried to get sword running
> under WINE on a *nix box?  or using the WINE libraries or anything like
> that?  I haven't actually had much to do with WINE for about 2 years, and
> so can't quite remember what you can do with WINE, but I was thinking that
> perhaps that could be a way of trying to use the same frontend under both
> win32 and <*disclaimer--being silly*> the _proper_ operating systems...
> ;)  Do the WINE library files allow you to do GUI stuff under *nix, or is
> it basically for all the backend stuff?

As I have understood it, WINE is an emulation layer for applications
accessing the Windows API. I don't exactly know what the winelib is for, I
guess you can use it in your win app to make running it on X in WINE easier.

But as there are different frontends for the various platforms available I
don't see an immediate need to port one of them to all platforms.

Martin