[sword-devel] Compile Options

nic sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:07:31 +1000 (EST)

> > Using -march=i586 and
> > -mcpu=i686 like the Mandrake distribution would offer even higher performance
> > at the cost of allowing only Pentium and newer processors to run the sword
> > library.
>
> And against that one.  If i ran Mandrake, 2 of my 4 PCs wouldn't work!  :-)

how about having configure scripts so that if ppl compile it themselves,
it will compile for their cpu/s, otherwise set -march=i386 (lowest common
denominator)...

A question while I'm here -- has anyone ever tried to get sword running
under WINE on a *nix box?  or using the WINE libraries or anything like
that?  I haven't actually had much to do with WINE for about 2 years, and
so can't quite remember what you can do with WINE, but I was thinking that
perhaps that could be a way of trying to use the same frontend under both
win32 and <*disclaimer--being silly*> the _proper_ operating systems...
;)  Do the WINE library files allow you to do GUI stuff under *nix, or is
it basically for all the backend stuff?

nic...  :)

--

"Morality may keep you out of jail, but it takes
 the blood of Christ to keep you out of Hell."

 Interested in finding out more about God, Jesus,
     Christianity and "the meaning of life"?
      Visit http://www.christianity.net.au