[sword-devel] Cool idea: Commercial Linux /Windows Bible program based on Sword

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:58:03 -0800

I'm totally interested in doing something like this.  I really don't know
how we would organize a commercial venture though.

As an alternative to putting Sword under LGPL, thereby allowing other
non-open source groups/companies to benefit from Sword, I would suggest
licensing Sword to the commercial group specifically under a non-GPL
license.  That way, the commercial group can distribute binary-only software
under a commercial license while Sword-proper remains GPL.

I'm not sure how security could be improved over what OLB, Logos, etc.
offer.  But I suppose we can at least offer security on par with these
titles.

--Chris