[sword-devel] Project "eL"

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 10:17:09 -0600

I thought you guys might be interested in taking a look at this:
http://www.leningradensis.org/

<snip>
The goal of the XML Leningrad Codex markup project is to produce a fresh,
from scratch "mirror image" of the Leningrad Codex of the Hebrew Bible,
encoded at the character/glyph level in UNICODE, which will be suitable for
use in "XML-aware" applications (word processors, database engines,
web-applications). Such an encoded text can be used for an infinite variety
of purposes and will allow for collaborative projects via the Internet to
"pyramid" knowledge, encourage the "reuse" of basic data and analysis,
extend the value of limited human and financial resources, and reduce
duplication of effort.

Project "eL" has several innovative and unique aspects:

it will be an Open Source project
it will invite the participation of the general public
it will endeavor to markup the entire manuscript
it will produce a freely available UNICODE Hebrew font

By "open source" we mean that the resulting text, although copyrighted and
with an institutional custodian, will be freely distributable for any
purpose. Project "eL" is also a sociological experiment, testing an
adaptation of a model for human collaboration in the production of knowledge
which has been successful in the software development community (e.g.,
GNU/Linux) and natural sciences (e.g., SETI@home). We believe that "eL" will
encourage the use and study of the Hebrew Bible across the world via the
Internet, and that other disciplines will be able to profit from our
experience.
</snip>

Once the project completes its first phase, the result will be a complete
Hebrew Bible usable by Sword. I figured this might be good news to you guys.

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org