[sword-devel] Re: [bt-devel] fast search

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:31:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, kbrannen@gte.net <kbrannen@gte.net> wrote:

> Trevor Jenkins wrote:

> > > Yes, but the size of one given book or commentary would never change
> > > once the book is finished.
> >
> > You're forgetting personal notes. These are expected to grow. After years
> > of use I'd expect to be able to search my notes with the same speed I
> > search the Bible text or someone else's notes ... uh book.
> I know that QuickVerse (and probably others) get around this by making the
> "notes" a separate file; hence, the book really doesn't change sizes.

Sorry I meant to say that my notes will eventually be a "book". Because
I'm working on them at all the time the size of the book increases. But I
expect the same search facility to be availabe for the Bible modules,
extant books and for my constantly growing personal book(s).

> ... After all, even bad algorithms run well/fast when the data is small
> enough. :-)

Have yo read Bently's "Programming Pearls" book? Makes for interesting
reading especially the account of how a Radio Shack TRS-80 outperformed a
Cray-1! Bad algorithms are just that bad. Good algorithms can be badly
implemented but would always be prefered to bad algorithms goodly

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!

<>< Re: deemed!