[sword-devel] Open Content Creation

Bryan L. Fordham sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 03 Feb 2001 09:25:33 -0500

darwin@ichristian.com wrote:

> Are there any volunteerrs for a development project where check-in and
> approval is only allowed by developers who hold to the Westminster
> Confession of Faith?  Belgic?  Reformed Baptist?  Or perhaps a softer
> stance, you can hold to whatever view you wish, but must commit to only
> providing materials and capabilities that are consistent with the statement
> of faith selected.  ;-)

If this is applied to modules I think it's the only option that will
work.  It won't work completely because it won't do anything about third
party modules, but I don't think anything can be done about that anyway.

This is what I mean:

Apologetics (defending the Christian faith) is something I have a lot of
interest in.  I recently taught a series of studies on this to my
Church's Wednesday night Single's Bible Study.  I always warn people
that you can go off on tangents to no end if you don't keep the "main
thing the main thing."  In other words, if I, as an American southern
baptist, am talking with a non-Christian I don't want to wander into
side issues that a, say, charasmatic would argue with.  Let the person
become a Christian and decide for themselves, but don't let some
difference keep them from Christ.

What do I consider the main thing?  Things most denominations would have
no problem supporting, in my experience:
There is only one God
God is a trinity: Father, Son, Spirit
Jesus is the only, unique, Son of God, second Person of the trinity.
Jesus was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on the cross
Jesus rose bodily from the grave
Faith in Jesus is the only means of salvation.

Am I a cessationist or not?  Who cares?  If we want to include to
modules taking a pro stance and against stance, we do so, make a note of
it ("A is a cessationist, B is not") and let it go at that, as long as
the work abides by the statement of faith.

Someone creates a NWT module?  Great!  Put it into the non-Christian
section with a note as to why.

How would all this be set up? I dunno.  Maybe he's elected by developers
for a term, say one year, with no limit on the number of terms.

Just an idea.  Thoughts?

--B