[sword-devel] Win32 software not starting

Andrew Craig sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:59:54 +0200

When I install the software then I get an error when the setup program tries to show the install manager screen. The error I get is:
"Error reading Image1. Picture.Data:External Exception C000001D"
I get a similar error when trying to start the main bible program. I have installed the ASV and tried the normal things to get the software to work but no joy.

The computer is a 386SX with 8MB RAM running Win95B. I setup the machine for someone who just wants to type the odd letter and do bible studies. Even though the machine is a 386SX it performs fine once the app you are working on is loaded. I installed Software602, a free word processor and spreadsheet app and it runs fine with no errors so I assume that everything is installed correctly.

I suspect that the error is caused by the display card. It is a Oak Technologies card (circa 1991) with only 256k of memory so it can only do 16 colours and a max of 800x600. I suspect that your software is trying to render a 256 or higher colour image and then dying. I can't put a new display card in since it has a built in card and the manual has been lost. I am techically proficient so I am willing to try a few options should it be required.

Any suggestions?

BTW Thanks for the great software :-)

Andrew.