[sword-devel] conversations with Stallman

Leon Brooks sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 23:53:52 +0800

On Thursday 20 December 2001 02:16, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
>> RMS has abruptly ceased conversing with
>> me and with a number of other individuals at various times at the point
>> of discovering that the conversee was a serious Christian, and more
>> particularly a creationist.

> Mind if I ask how you ever managed to start
> conversing about creationism with RMS?

The details are a bit fuzzy (but I could search my archives if needed) in my
memory. The conversation started on digital topics, then RMS made an invalid
parallel between evolution and something he was doing (ie, the parallel was
based on a known-false evolutionary assumption), I pointed out the flaw in
the assumption and proposed a better parallel based on design, and got a
response along the lines of ``you don't really believe that, do you?'' which
of course invited a ``yes'' with examples. Silence.

> The closest I ever got was wishing
> him a happy Easter one time I was corresponding with him, he really didn't
> say anything either way about that.

He'd regard it as a social nicety rather than a policy statement. Much like
people often say ``Wow!'' without intending to invoke Satan (Wow is one of
Satan's many names).

Cheers; Leon