[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies and indulgences

Michael Rempel sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 21:31:47 -0800

> Hi,
>
> I see where he is called Paul but have failed to find a reference to God
> renaming him. The People's New Testament Commentary [handily available for
> rather excellent Bible study program I know of :) ] says :
>
> Acts 13:913:9 #Ac 13:9    But Saul, (who also [is called] Paul). From this
> date he is the chief figure of the Acts. Barnabas, who had hitherto been
the
> leader, falls behind. The origin of the name Paul is unknown. It is a
Roman
> name, that of a great Roman family, and it is likely that the great
apostle
> had two names, one Jewish, the other Gentile, a common thing anciently.

I could elaborate further, but had Shaul stayed put, and remained an
adherent to Judaism he would certainly have become a member of the
Sanhedrin, and likely would have been chief liason to the Roman authority
after his mentor. For this reason alone he would have needed a Greek name,
even if no other Jews had them.

> Which is the explanation I would tend to go for. However I have heard the
> 'renamed by God' approach from so many people that I am always keen to see
> people's perspective on it. I am beginning to think it is 'an urban
legend'
> as such.

I have heard it too, it could be an anti-semetic reference, used to try to
remove Shaul or Saul as a legitemate name, but I could be mistaken. It is
often difficult for people to understand or accept that anti-semitism makes
it's way into scripture until they have a fuller catalog of shear volume of
translation 'errors' and traditions that clearly show a pattern once it is
seen in greater scope. The changes in tranditional observince times and
dates are clear examples, Sunday for Saturday as Sabath, Easter instead of
Passover, which is clearly wrong plus others.

If readers are concerned about me stating this, it is likely much more
profitable for you to investigate this yourself by asking Jewish
authorities, and consulting Jewish books on the subject of Christian
anti-semitism, than it is for me to attempt to outline and defend the myrid
possible premises here. Suffice it to say that it is a major theme of
Judaism, to the extent that if a Jew accepts Jesus as Messiah, he is
considered dead. He is cut off from his family, friends and ostracised for
life. We are working to change this, but it is tremendously difficult.

As one incredulous observer put it, Messianic Jews are a small bunch of
determined folk, set on revitalizing and transforming the two most stubborn,
stiff necked traditions in the history of mankind. Judaism, and
Christianity, and we are trying to change both at once. It is a daunting
task for sure. But as scripture says, let iron sharpen iron. Our task is
merely to keep the two rubbing together. God gives each their new edge in
His good time. I just pray it be sooner rather than later.

Michael