[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies and indulgences

Kevin Montgomery sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 01:11:50 -0000

Hi,

I see where he is called Paul but have failed to find a reference to God
renaming him. The People's New Testament Commentary [handily available for a
rather excellent Bible study program I know of :) ] says :

Acts 13:913:9 #Ac 13:9    But Saul, (who also [is called] Paul). From this
date he is the chief figure of the Acts. Barnabas, who had hitherto been the
leader, falls behind. The origin of the name Paul is unknown. It is a Roman
name, that of a great Roman family, and it is likely that the great apostle
had two names, one Jewish, the other Gentile, a common thing anciently.

Which is the explanation I would tend to go for. However I have heard the
'renamed by God' approach from so many people that I am always keen to see
people's perspective on it. I am beginning to think it is 'an urban legend'
as such.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Kevin

P.S. Well it mentioned Sword. At least half a sentence was on topic.
P.P.S. My email address is kfm@awakezion.com if you feel this is too
hideously off-topic to continue on the sword list!
P.P.P.S God Bless!