[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies and indulgences

Chris sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:15:09 +1100

>I take it you have never been involved in a translation effort.

I agree that a from-scratch translation is a gigantic task. But
something might be
done along the lines of taking the best free translation that is
available (what would that be?
RSV? ), and then take a verse here and a verse there from other
translations (NIV, NASB etc)
where they seem better. It would probably be within reach of an
interested bunch of people
to do that, although how you would find and gather together such a group
would be a task.

On the other hand, maybe an existing free translation should be widely
promoted as the
 new "standard" in the churches. Maybe the RSV as I see it is free to
download. How is
it that the RSV is free?