[sword-devel] My personal OpenSource ideologies

Jerry Kreps sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 23:24:13 -0600

On Sunday 09 December 2001 22:50, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 19:59, Bobby Nations wrote:
> > The collections classes in Java 2 mimic the STL in many ways, but
> > are less elegant than STL because you have to cast everything to
> > the appropriate object type when retrieving from a collection.
> > IMHO, the lack of templates and operator overloading are among
> > the two biggest shortcomings in Java (sometimes the lack of
> > reliable destructors moves up the list as well :-|).
>
> I actually love the fact that Java is so strongly typed. You know
> exactly what you are dealing with at the point you are trying to
> work with it. In reading the Sword I have become very confused at
> points trying to figure out if some of the classes are Strings,
> chars, ints, or whatever (not to mention you can have Objects
> imitating primitives, Ugh). When you know what an Object is you
> know what you can do with it, what data elements it holds, what
> behaviors it will provide, etc. I am finding this is probably the
> most difficult thing about reading through the code. Just a
> personal thing I guess.

That's why I like a good IDE like KDevelop.   I downloaded the sword
CVS and loaded it into KDevelop.   While examining the code if I want
to look at the definition of a function, constant, var, etc....  I
highlight it and click right mouse and grep it.  All occurances are
lilsted, begining with the def.   Just lazy :)