[sword-devel] My personal OpenSource ideologies

Mike Dougherty sword-devel@crosswire.org
09 Dec 2001 20:50:23 -0800

On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 19:59, Bobby Nations wrote:

> The collections classes in Java 2 mimic the STL in many ways, but are less
> elegant than STL because you have to cast everything to the appropriate
> object type when retrieving from a collection.  IMHO, the lack of templates
> and operator overloading are among the two biggest shortcomings in Java
> (sometimes the lack of reliable destructors moves up the list as well :-|).

I actually love the fact that Java is so strongly typed. You know
exactly what you are dealing with at the point you are trying to work
with it. In reading the Sword I have become very confused at points
trying to figure out if some of the classes are Strings, chars, ints, or
whatever (not to mention you can have Objects imitating primitives,
Ugh). When you know what an Object is you know what you can do with it,
what data elements it holds, what behaviors it will provide, etc. I am
finding this is probably the most difficult thing about reading through
the code. Just a personal thing I guess.

> Hope that helps.

Yes, it did. Thanks!

/mike

 Mike Dougherty -- Java Software Engineer
 ANN JILLIAN'S HAIR makes LONI ANDERSON'S HAIR look like RICARDO
 MONTALBAN'S HAIR!