[sword-devel] I want to port the API to Java

Wed, 05 Dec 2001 13:55:25 -0700

Hey guys.  Just to clear up a few things:

	jsword is indeed all of java code related to sword.  It included out
jsp support classes, but also includes the beginnings of a port of the
entire api.  You can check it out like any other cvs module from our cvs
server with the module name jsword.

	There probably are a number of classes that are half complete.  I
copied the c++ classes from the api about 2 years ago and started a
fairly direct port, changing only to standard java method names and
constructs, but leaving the functionality for each class intact.

	jsword currently requires the jgl container api.  The current, standard
java container library is not extensive enough to contain a multimap
equivelant of the c++ stl.  The primary difference between a map and
multimap is that a multimap has the ability to iterate thru duplicate
key values, whereas a map does not allow duplicate key values.

	I remember stopping at versekey.cpp.  I wanted to rewrite versekey.cpp
internals in c++ anyway and didn't want to port poor code :)  Never
rewrote it. :)

	I also have been meaning to get the project B drivers into the jsword
library.  I would love for us to work together.  I think our main issue
is that project B probably doesn't want to give up their interface, and
I feel a crosswire port of our api should probably be similar to our c++
api, so developers can switch between both worlds easily and have all
the same concepts available to them.

	Let me know what you guys think.  I don't remember the state of
things.  I believe just the Managers (reading installed module sets,
etc.) are working, as we use them extensively on the website.

	Please spend some time reviewing the jsword cvs module and let me know
how bad of shape it's in and I'd be happy to help you out with more
direction and information!  This is exciting!  I would love to see you
guys make an awesome java framework for java developers!

	In Him,
		-Troy.