[sword-devel] I want to port the API to Java

Mike Dougherty sword-devel@crosswire.org
05 Dec 2001 10:06:28 -0800

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 09:12, Daniel Glassey wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2001 at 8:29, Mike Dougherty sent forth the message:
>
> > On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 04:52, Darrell Burk wrote:
> > > I've just recently learned about the Sword project, and I can't say how glad I am that there is a project that I can be personally involved in that is getting free online Bibles out to people!
> > >
> > > Anyway, I'm interested in doing a Java port of the Sword API. It's premature to think about it now, but I think I'd like to do a Java GUI after the port...
> > >
> > > Where can I get the information I'll need to port the API? Also, is there already work on this in progress, and if so could they use help?
> >
> > I would also like to see a Java port of this software. I actually read
> > about a mysterious project called JSword (which I assumed was a Java
> > port), but when I asked the list about it no body provided any
> > information about it.
> >
> > Maybe between the two of us we can get something going?
>
> Hi, sorry no-one replied to your earlier message Mike. JSword is actually the cvs module for the
> jsps on the website not the sword API. There's been talk before about porting it to Java but I
> don't think anyone has got very far yet (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)
> It would be great to see something though :)
>
> In the sword CVS is the API documentation doc/api-documentation/
> That and the developers page http://www.crosswire.org/sword/develop/index.jsp
> are a good place to start, and post any questions to the list.
>
> hth,
> Daniel

Daniel: Thanks for replying and clearing up my misunderstanding about
JSword.

Actually, I misspoke a little. I did get a reply in regards to Java and
Sword but it was in reference to another project called Project B (also
on SourceForge). Project B has a complete (or what appeared to be
complete) Java library for reading Sword modules.

It occurs to me that maybe there could be a combination of efforts. But
I don't know if either project would be open to such an idea.

/mike

 Mike Dougherty -- Java Software Engineer
 Woman:      "Is Yoo-Hoo hyphenated?"
 Yogi Berra: "No, ma'am, its not even carbonated."