[sword-devel] Copyrighting The Bible? sue Christians?

Mike Sangrey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 07:35:35 -0400

I'm not going to debate this issue on the sword list.  I do think
the facts need to be stated so that no person's character is
wronged.  And then let the evidence speak for itself.

I would like to suggest as kindly as I can that you please consider
exactly what was said.

Mike Sangrey <msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org> said (quoting Dr. Kenneth Barker)
> It has come to my attention that false rumors are circulating, in
>   both oral and written form, that the NIV is soft on sodomy (that
>   is, homosexual sins). The alleged reason for this is that some
>   NIV translators and editors were homosexuals or lesbians. These
>   charges have no basis in fact. Thus they are simply untrue. And
>   those who make such false charges could be legitimately sued for
>   libel, slander, and defamation of character.

You (Mark Thompson <PAProphet@aol.com>) replied citing two passages
which point out the wrongness of the frame of mind which seeks
retribution.

Please note, however, that Kenneth Barker said, "*could* be
legitimately sued."  That speaks to the seriousness of the false
charges and not to his intentions.  The `could' highlights the
potential, but says nothing of the reality.  To uncover the person's
intentions look at  how he has dealt with the on-going rumors.  Has
he sued anyone?  Even though he legitimately could.  Seems to me that
is EXACTLY what the passages you quoted say.

I sincerely am NOT trying to fan any flames of this discussion.  In
stead, I'm trying very hard to bring it to closure.  Let's all let
the evidence speak and let it at that.

An honest `thank you' for listening.
--
Mike Sangrey