[sword-devel] Copyrighting The Bible?

Mike Sangrey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:24:02 -0400

To back up Don Elbourne's comment regarding Dr. Virginia Mollenkott,
let me quote Dr. Kenneth Barker, Executive Director of the NIV
Translation Center:

  It has come to my attention that false rumors are circulating, in
  both oral and written form, that the NIV is soft on sodomy (that
  is, homosexual sins). The alleged reason for this is that some
  NIV translators and editors were homosexuals or lesbians. These
  charges have no basis in fact. Thus they are simply untrue. And
  those who make such false charges could be legitimately sued for
  libel, slander, and defamation of character.

  Here are the facts. It is true that in the earliest stages of
  translation work on the NIV (in the late 1960s and early 1970s),
  Virginia Mollenkott was consulted briefly and only in a minor way
  on matters of English style. At that time she had the reputation
  of being a committed evangelical Christian with expertise in
  contemporary English idiom and usage. Nothing was known of her
  lesbian views.

  Those did not begin to surface until years later in some of her
  writings. If we had known in the sixties what became public
  knowledge only years later, we would not have consulted her at
  all. But it must be stressed that she did not influence the NIV
  translators and editors in any of their final decisions.

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org