[sword-devel] Copyrighting The Bible?

Kees Bergwerf sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 01:04:44 +0200

Hi Nathan,

Op maandag 27 augustus 2001 02:02, schreef u:

> Is that their right? To change slightly, for example, the KJV, call it the
> MKJV, and copyright it? Who wrote it anyway? Did they, or did God?

That is also my problem. The Dutch translation (SVV) has always been a free
translation but now I see on the crosswire site that it is locked :-(

In a way I can understand why a copyright is neccesary. It takes care that
not everybody can copy and perhaps change the text a little. So in that point
a copyright is ok. But on the other hand, when we can download a translation
somewhere where it is safe to download from, it should be free. imho.

> aware of the legal position on translation, of course, but it still
> disgusts me that people can do that.

Me too.
A lot of people have helped to make the translations available for the online
bible. They spend their free time, knowing that the purpose was to give
everybody a bible. And for that, I cannot understand the locking of
translations.

--Kees