[sword-devel] Circumvention access controls to a protected work

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 19:35:57 -0700

--=====================_10277085==_.ALT

The question on copyrights has reminded me that I should post this message
from the US Copyright Office. As of October 28, 2000 it is unlawful to
circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a
protected work. Very interesting for us on this list is that there is no
exemption for circumvention to get public domain works out of a protected
work. If you go to the link there is a discussion of why that is the case.
If anyone wants I will post that portion.

Jerry

--------------Federal Register---------------
OFFICE PUBLISHES DETERMINATION IN ANTICIRCUMVENTION
RULEMAKING (1201(a)(1) RULEMAKING) (65 FR 64555)
On Friday, October 27, 2000, the Copyright Office published
in the Federal Register at 65 FR 64555 the rule that
designates the classes of copyrighted works that the
Librarian of Congress has determined shall be subject to
exemption from the prohibition against circumvention of a
technological measure that effectively controls access to a
work protected under title 17 of the U.S. Code. In title I
of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), Congress
established that this prohibition against circumvention will
become effective October 28, 2000. The same legislation
directed the Register of Copyrights to conduct a rulemaking
procedure and to make recommendations to the Librarian as to
whether any classes of works should be subject to exemptions
from the prohibition against circumvention. The exemptions
set forth in this rule will be in effect until October 28,
2003.
To read the determination, visit the Copyright Office
Website at
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/fedreg/65fr64555.html </a>

--=====================_10277085==_.ALT

The question on copyrights has reminded me that I should post this
message from the US Copyright Office. As of October 28, 2000 it is
unlawful to circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls
access to a protected work. Very interesting for us on this list is that
there is no exemption for circumvention to get public domain works out of
a protected work. If you go to the link there is a discussion of why that
is the case. If anyone wants I will post that portion. <br>
Jerry<br>
--------------Federal Register---------------<br>
OFFICE PUBLISHES DETERMINATION IN ANTICIRCUMVENTION <br>
RULEMAKING (1201(a)(1) RULEMAKING) (65 FR 64555)<br>
On Friday, October 27, 2000, the Copyright Office published <br>
in the Federal Register at 65 FR 64555 the rule that <br>
designates the classes of copyrighted works that the <br>
Librarian of Congress has determined shall be subject to <br>
exemption from the prohibition against circumvention of a <br>
technological measure that effectively controls access to a <br>
work protected under title 17 of the U.S. Code. In title I <br>
of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), Congress <br>
established that this prohibition against circumvention will <br>
become effective October 28, 2000. The same legislation <br>
directed the Register of Copyrights to conduct a rulemaking <br>
procedure and to make recommendations to the Librarian as to <br>
whether any classes of works should be subject to exemptions <br>
from the prohibition against circumvention. The exemptions <br>
set forth in this rule will be in effect until October 28, <br>
2003. <br>
To read the determination, visit the Copyright Office <br>
Website at <br>
&lt;a
&lt;/a&gt;<br>