[sword-devel] Working on a STEP Reader for SWORD

Trandahl, Steve sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:15:33 -0700

Paul,
	Thanks for the information.  I downloaded the NKJV bible you
referred to and am now successfully decompressing most of the text.  It
appears that I need to decompress each block separately in order to achieve
100% accurate results.  This will involve analyzing some of the files other
than the main book data file.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Gear [mailto:paulgear@bigfoot.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2000 7:17 AM
To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] Working on a STEP Reader for SWORD

"Trandahl, Steve" wrote:

> Troy,
>         I finally got the source code you mentioned to compile.  I have an
> old copy of QuickVerse (version 4.0) with a KJV bible.  However, whenever
> run the test program against it, all I get is a different file of
unreadable
> garbage.
>
>         I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if the program
wasn't
> as far along as I thought.  Did the test program ever successfully
> decompress a STEP file?  If so, are there copies of the original and
> decompressed versions of the file?
>         I'd like to avoid a potentially lengthy process of going over all
> the code if I can.

QuickVerse 4.x and earlier were not STEP-based.  Try QV 5.0 or later.
See <http://craigr.com/backup/faq.htm> for the gory details.  If you
poke around or search Craig's site, you'll find quite a bit of
information on QuickVerse and STEP.

Parsons have a free STEP NKJV on their FTP server:
<ftp://download.parsonstech.com/demos/qnkjo.exe>.  Gotta use Windows to
install it, though.  :-(

Craig has also offered to me in the past to explain the 4.x and earlier
data format if anyone is interested in writing a driver for it.  I would
certainly be interested in this, as it would let me use the NIV with
BibleTime!  I understand that the format is a very simple binary
encoding where every word was given a 16-bit code.

Paul
---------
"He must become greater; i must become less." - John 3:30
http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear