[sword-devel] Doctrinal Statement

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:57:46 -0700

At 05:25 PM 7/27/2000 -0700, David Burry wrote:
>I agree wholeheartedly, and this seems to be the most balanced view I've
>seen yet on this subject.
>
>In my opinion a more important issue (different but related) is whether
>there can be any kind of review or certification that the text supplied
>really _is_ Wescott and Hort or not (for instance).  True that is a lot
>more work, but accurately copying the original is much more important to
>me than certifying the beliefs of the contributor as acceptable or not.
>
>Dave

I would like to see a program for identifying, comparing and certifying
texts.  A site could list data about texts, such as, CRCs, file sizes,
number of words, etc.. A program could check a local text against the
online stats for a "certified" file. That could help people to also know if
they have the latest and most correct version. I would also like to take
files of different formats, but claiming to be the same text and compare
any differences. One software publisher may have found and corrected
errors, even typos and OCR errors, that others do not know about.

Jerry