[sword-devel] Compiling sword-1.5.0

geoffrey W Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:28:03 -0700

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:52:09 -0700 (PDT) Chris Little
<chrislit@chiasma.org> writes:
> Unfortunately, there is presently no solution for non-programmers to
> make  modules, IMO.  You can use the GBF or other converters in the
source
> tree  if you can compile them--which generally requires you to be
running
> linux.  (I figure if you're not a programmer, you don't have
> compilers llying around you Win32 machine.)
>
> I'd like to work on a nice GUI module editor for Win32, if not
> cross-platform, but I'm probably going to have to wait until I can
> figure  out how to use a sword.dll in VB or such.

It would be great if you could do that. I also am not a programmer.
When the ability to make modules without being a programmer is added to
the Sword then the modules will begin to pour in. Look at Olb. Pretty
much anyone can add commentaries, topics and texts. We could see a site
like TOLBSS for the SWORD.

> I've also got some perl converters in the works, and those should
> work on
> Win32 for people who grab ActiveState's Perl for Win32.  But that
> won't
> look as nice (and be as appealing to use for the average user) as a
> GUI
> editor--something I feel is lacking from ALL of the Bible software
> I've
> seen on the market.
>
> --Chris Little
>
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Dan Bertles wrote:
>
> > Chris, etc.,
> >
> > I have been mostly lurking for some time and have seen this
> question quite
> > often also.  I've also been looking, with baited breath, for an
> answer that
> > I could understand for the same period of time  ;  )
> >
> > I am operating in "Windoze" 95/NT and am not a programmer, but am
> more of a
> > hacker.  I have edited modules using replace utilities, etc. and
> some funky
> > other stuff to remove the CR-LF characters, but I still don't have
> a clue
> > how to *create* a module.
> >
> > Can a utility be created that will convert some form of delimited
> file into
> > a sword compatible format?
> >
> > Sorry to beat this issue to death, and I'm sorry I'm not at the
> caliber of
> > the rest of you to understand what has been presented in the past.
> >
> > Dan

Geoff  Hastings
geoffreyhastings@juno.com

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!