[sword-devel] Compiling sword-1.5.0

Chris Marsh sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:40:14 +1000

I'm still trying to get a Sword DLL for Windows.... let alone use it.

Chris Marsh

Analyst Programmer
Hansen Corporation
Ph:	(03) 9843 8438
Fax:	(03) 9843 8590

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Little [mailto:chrislit@chiasma.org]
Sent: Friday, 28 July 2000 7:52
To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: RE: [sword-devel] Compiling sword-1.5.0

Unfortunately, there is presently no solution for non-programmers to make
modules, IMO.  You can use the GBF or other converters in the source tree
if you can compile them--which generally requires you to be running
linux.  (I figure if you're not a programmer, you don't have compilers
lying around you Win32 machine.)

I'd like to work on a nice GUI module editor for Win32, if not
cross-platform, but I'm probably going to have to wait until I can figure
out how to use a sword.dll in VB or such.

I've also got some perl converters in the works, and those should work on
Win32 for people who grab ActiveState's Perl for Win32.  But that won't
look as nice (and be as appealing to use for the average user) as a GUI
editor--something I feel is lacking from ALL of the Bible software I've
seen on the market.

--Chris Little

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Dan Bertles wrote:

> Chris, etc.,
>
> I have been mostly lurking for some time and have seen this question quite
> often also.  I've also been looking, with baited breath, for an answer
that
> I could understand for the same period of time  ;  )
>
> I am operating in "Windoze" 95/NT and am not a programmer, but am more of
> hacker.  I have edited modules using replace utilities, etc. and some
funky
> other stuff to remove the CR-LF characters, but I still don't have a clue
> how to *create* a module.
>
> Can a utility be created that will convert some form of delimited file
into
> a sword compatible format?
>
> Sorry to beat this issue to death, and I'm sorry I'm not at the caliber of
> the rest of you to understand what has been presented in the past.
>
> Dan

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com