[sword-devel] Greek texts

Jeffrey Hoyt sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:22:48 -0700

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Is anyone aware of any effort to spruce up our Greek texts a bit?
>
> I would like to see:
>     - standardised encoding (so that all the texts look the same in
> BibleTime)
>     - breathings, punctuation, capitalisation, and maybe accenting
>     - paragraph formatting
>     - morphology codes

By morphology codes do you mean the declensions and parts of speech in the
Koine Greek language?  If so, a good place to start is the Greek/Hebrew Key
Study Bible by Spiros Zodhiates, published by AMG.  It has part-of-speech,
tense, mood, voice, etc. codes of many Greek and Hebrew words right in the
Bible text.  (I have one).
>     - textual apparatus, and maybe segmentation and cross reference
> apparatuses (like in UBS4)
>     - lexicons keyed on Greek words, not Strongs numbers
>
> Do we have anyone working on this already, or does this message count as
> volunteering?  :-)  If the latter, can anyone point me to a few
> resources to start with?

I am interested in this, although I don't know realistically how much help I
could be.  :-)  I have wanted to see the same improvements in the Greek texts.

Semi-related:  Why is the "Thayer" lexicon no different from the "Strongs
Greek" lexicon?  When I saw Thayer's was a module, I nearly went ballistic
with joy.  I was dissapointed to find it wasn't Thayer's after all.

God bless,
Jeff