[sword-devel] John Gill

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 00:20:10 GMT

Pergamum writes:

> Sorry to but into this guys, but.... "copyrighted because 'he typed it in.'"
> So let me get this straight? If I type up "Footprints", the Declaration of
> Independence, the Magna Carta, and the King James version, I can slap a
> copyright on it???  My goodness, I'll be richer than Avarice!!!!
> Yeah right... This guy needs to really review his ethics, and his law. But
> that's just my opinion, I *could* be wrong.

This is a sad state of affairs, but not as bad as when publishers don't see
the stupidity of translating the Bible, and claiming that it is the Word of
God, and then copyright it, which implies a significant creative work...

My question is...  Is it the Word of God, or a creative work???

I think I am going to e-mail this question to some publishers...

Perhaps the reason for the Gill commentary copyright is a modernization, or
the particular layout...  I don't know, but just a guess.  If this is the
case, anyone with a printed copy and a scanner with OCR software may be
able  to create a new module for us.

--
   Darwin Gregory

   Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.
   Evolution is a myth...