[sword-devel] Design of curses version of bible.

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 06 Jan 2000 16:33:10 +0000

On Thursday, 6 January, 2000 16:02:22, The Schmidts
<schmidtpcsi@suite224.net> wrote:

> Glenn Reed wrote:
>
>> Would it be advisable say to use ncurses functionality or should I stick
>> to straight curses?  It would be nice to be able to use this through
>> telnet I think or older computers without high end graphics compatibility.
>
>     Compatibility issues stated.  Next, I definitely think you _should_ use
> mouse and color in the program.  Let's say someone is using an older 486 to
> use the (n)curses app.  If they are running GNU/Linux or *BSD or whatever,
> their computer is capable of color, so you may as well harness that for
> highlighting, menus, screen divisions, etc.

You are making an assumption here that is not necessarily valid. For
example, I do have a 486 machine running Linux. It does have a colour
monitor and a mouse connected. However, it also has two VT320 terminals
atached to it. These are real (n)curses devices without mice and only in
colour green.

Whilst having mice and colour support would be useful please don't make it
mandatory.

>  And if they are running GPM, I believe?,

Certanly does but not from emacs (running the console).

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living
language. So recognise it now.

--

<>< Re: deemed!