[sword-devel] RFC: Sword Copyright Website

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 02:02:20 EST

--part1_80.44697b3.276b1bfc_boundary

Dear Everyone,

       I just uploaded the first public version of the Sword Copyright
Website (http://www.crosswire.org/sword/copyright/). Now you are able to give
out the above URL to anyone that is asking about copyright issues or would
like to find a way to help the Sword Project without writing code.
       Here is just a little bit about the purpose of the site for those that
do not see why we need a web site devoted to the copyrighted modules:
       I set up the web site so that we could start contacting copyright
holders of the modules for Sword that are locked, this way we could unlock
them for all of the public to use. I know this is not a big deal for you who
are on this list because you already have access to the locked modules but
think about all the other people that are so excited about Sword and all the
software that uses it, they deserve to be able to use all of those locked
modules, because most are really good texts that would help anyone in their
study of the Bible. On the site I have information about the copyright
holders, who holds what copyright on what text. And also I have some form
letters that people can use when sending in their letters of support (this is
an area I need help in, I need some people to write really good form letters
that people can use.) Since all of this information is on one central website
it can be easily accessed and found by all the people that would like to use
it.

The Future:
       This is what the next couple of months look like in the context of the
copyright battle, it will take a little bit of time to get the word out that
people can help with contacting the copyright holders and for people to send
in their letters of support. During this time a couple things will happen: 1)
I will refine the website with feedback from visitors and I also plan to set
up some scripts to let people fill out a form letter online and just print it
off or their browser, this will make it so incredibly easy to send a letter.
2) The official letter that the Sword Project will send needs to be revised
and fine tuned, I hope some people will help out with that!

Comments? Questions? Thanks for your time!

-Jonathan
BJW7TOAEM@aol.com

--part1_80.44697b3.276b1bfc_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  COLOR="#004080" SIZE=3><B>Dear Everyone,
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I just uploaded the first public version of the Sword Copyright <BR>Website (http://www.crosswire.org/sword/copyright/). Now you are able to give <BR>out the above URL to anyone that is asking about copyright issues or would <BR>like to find a way to help the Sword Project without writing code.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Here is just a little bit about the purpose of the site for those that <BR>do not see why we need a web site devoted to the copyrighted modules:
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I set up the web site so that we could start contacting copyright <BR>holders of the modules for Sword that are locked, this way we could unlock <BR>them for all of the public to use. I know this is not a big deal for you who <BR>are on this list because you already have access to the locked modules but <BR>think about all the other people that are so excited about Sword and all the <BR>software that uses it, they deserve to be able to use all of those locked <BR>modules, because most are really good texts that would help anyone in their <BR>study of the Bible. On the site I have information about the copyright <BR>holders, who holds what copyright on what text. And also I have some form <BR>letters that people can use when sending in their letters of support (this is <BR>an area I need help in, I need some people to write really good form letters <BR>that people can use.) Since all of this information is on one central website <BR>it c!
an be easily accessed and found by all the people that would like to use <BR>it.
<BR>
<BR>The Future:
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;This is what the next couple of months look like in the context of the <BR>copyright battle, it will take a little bit of time to get the word out that <BR>people can help with contacting the copyright holders and for people to send <BR>in their letters of support. During this time a couple things will happen: 1) <BR>I will refine the website with feedback from visitors and I also plan to set <BR>up some scripts to let people fill out a form letter online and just print it <BR>off or their browser, this will make it so incredibly easy to send a letter. <BR>2) The official letter that the Sword Project will send needs to be revised <BR>and fine tuned, I hope some people will help out with that!
<BR>
<BR>Comments? Questions? Thanks for your time!
<BR>
<BR>-Jonathan
<BR>BJW7TOAEM@aol.com &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</B></FONT></HTML>

--part1_80.44697b3.276b1bfc_boundary--