[sword-devel] modules for debian

Ben Armstrong sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:01:26 -0400

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:51:58PM -0000, Daniel Glassey wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to package some modules and get them into Debian, but that
> could only reasonably be done for a limited number of modules.

This is my proposed list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0009/msg00689.html

I'm not sure if this is a comprehensive enough "base" install.  Perhaps
someone who uses these tools in their work daily could comment.

To keep things in perspective, xemacs21-basesupport is 36M :)  Admittedly,
there will not be quite as many users of sword as xemacs, but still ...
disks are getting cheaper and larger, and what we used to think was
monstrously huge is now just a flash in the pan.

A script should be written to convert tarball -> deb.  If there is a
shortage of space at crosswire, the tarballs can be fetched, converted,
and installed by the script by the user.  If there is no such shortage,
then the script could at the very least make life easier for the archive
maintainer.  A user download/installer script was frowned upon by one
respondent to my post:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0009/msg00682.html

I'm not sure what sort of problems have been caused by such scripts.  The
xanim-modules script, for example, downloads and installs a bunch of
non-free data modules for xanim.  However, it does not convert them into
deb format as I have proposed the sword-installer should do.

Apparently the "data section" for Debian has already been approved, but
not yet implemented.  It is worth mentioning it again on debian-devel.
Someone should do something about it.  See this message:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0009/msg00687.html

Ben