[sword-devel] fast searching support

Joachim Ansorg sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 00:33:57 +0000

Hi!

> > Maybe I'm wrong, but at first gflances I think it's not faster than
> > normal search before.
>
> Joachim and others,
> 	Did you get the framework searching to work?  You can see it by
> building cheatah and running a search for "God love world" in your
> module that you ran mkfastmod on.  Cheatah's default search works with
> the framework.  Then click the "Case Sensitive" checkbox and the
> framework will NOT be used.  You can compare this way.  If the latter
> search is quicker, your module is not setup correctly for the search
> framework (please check permissions of the files, this was the last bug
> I fixed in the index generator).  The old search does a strstr or
> stristr (my homebrewed algorithm that is not so fast) for
> case-insensitive searches.
>

> On my box, cheatah will do this search on BBE the old way in (after
> first occurance) about 1 second.  Using the framework the delay is only
> about 1/10th of a second (after the first occurance).

1 second without indexing? What do you have for a expensive PC ? ;-)
My PC (AMD K6-2 400@300, 128MB Ram) needs some seonds!
BibleTime does now work with the indexing mechanism, it's not so fast as
cheatah but much more fast than before. Often used take very lomg.
BTW, Sword does behace strange now i you search the GerBen module for "God
love world", it shows some thousand 1. Mose 0:1 and some Revelation entries
(over 10000 found entries).

> 	-Troy.
--Joachim