[sword-devel] bug in SWORD's bible structure representation

Pergamum sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 01:24:56 -0500

I understand what your saying. Your comments came through actually clear.
Solomon's on the other hand were worded a bit like mockery.
In defense of the authors here; I am not a programmer. They do listen to the
users. I was simply trying to address what I misread as an insult directed
towards the programmers. I do apologize if I jumped at conclusions. I am
somewhat apt to defensiveness when it comes to people's attempts to spread
the Word in whatever way they can.

In Christ Jesus,
Pergamum
----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Paul Johnson <mpj@ebible.org>
To: <sword-devel@crosswire.org>
Sent: Monday, 07 August, 2000 00:23
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] bug in SWORD's bible structure representation

> At 11:54 PM 8/6/00 -0500, Pergamum wrote:
> >with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think the important thing is
> >continue searching for formatting and functionality glitches. I'm not
> >attempting to be rude or to belittle you here Solomon... however your
> >comment seems to merely be an attempt to mock the efforts of those that
pour
> >their hearts into this work.
>
> Whoa, there! Please don't be so touchy. I saw no mocking. I saw an honest
effort to inform the developers of a bug. Call it a feature, if you like,
but it is still a BUG. You decide if it is worth fixing, or if you would
rather just document it, dress it up in a tuxedo, and call it a feature.
Face it, insects just don't look good in tuxedos....

> It isn't that hard to build in special handling for one-chapter books of
the Bible. I did it in my GBF-to-PDF process. Check out the typeset version
of the New Testament at http://eBible.org/bible/webnt.pdf, and you will see
that the running headers and chapter:verse numbering shift to verse
numbering only for the one-chapter books. In a user interface, if you make
someone think your feature is a bug, that person is probably right. Just how
hard is it to put in something like:
> if ((num_chapters(book) == 1) && (chapter > 1) && (verse == 0))
> {
>     verse = chapter;
>     chapter = 1;
> }
> ?????
>
> IF you want your software to be good, LISTEN to your users, and don't
berate them for reporting bugs. Swallow your pride and fix the bugs.