[sword-devel] Suggestion

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 18:52:20 +0000

On Monday, 27 December, 1999 01:04:40, Chris Little <chrislit@chiasma.org>
wrote:

> I think it would be very interesting to implement a pre-computed index
> system that is optional for the user.

You're right it should be optional as you say:

> ...  If the search index file is present in
> the module directory, it uses its search method, ...

Careful housekeeping is required in the implementation code. One translation
may have the full inverted whereas another may not.

> ... otherwise it falls back on a linear search.

One idle thought that presents itself would be to construct the indices as
the user looks for things. This would speed up second and subsequent
searches but still leave the user taking a performance hit for the first
one. More of a search term cache than a full-blown inverted file. I'm not
convinced that it is desirable but certainly do-able.

Personaly I prefer the full-blown inverted file method.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living
language. So recognise it now.

--

<>< Re: deemed!