[sword-devel] upcoming modules and collaboration with OLB people

Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:35:24 -0700

Wooohooo! :)

	Great news all around, Chris!

> Then, I'm going to work on getting us a pointed BHS from the Oxford text
> archive.  I still need to ask them permission for use, but I want to see how
> it looks in SWORD using the ISO Hebrew encoding to decide if it is even
> worth it to include.

Have you talked to Yeshiah to see what he's been doing in this area?  I
figure you guys have been discussing things and have it all under
control, but just wanted to make sure we weren't duplicating efforts.

> I also asked The Learn Foundation for permission to use the ISV in SWORD and
> did receive permission with the following license:

This is wonderful news!

>     Permission is hereby granted to utilize the ISV under the following
>     terms and conditions:
>
>     1. No charge may be made to end users for the ISV.
>
>     2. You must use the current release (v1.10, build #5 released 15
> December
>     1999) as your release text. You agree to update your release text with
> the
>     latest version and build of the ISV periodically at your discretion, but
> no
>     less often than annually. Please be advised that other vendors will
> probably
>     update quarterly.
>
>     3. You agree not to distribute the ISV in any locked form. If you
> distribute
>     demo copies of your software, you agree that the ISV will be freely
> accessible
>     in the demo version.
>
>     4. NO license to publish printed copies of the ISV are granted hereby.
>
>     5. You agree to incorporate the ISV triglyph device as an identifying
>     logo for the ISV, the front matter of the ISV, and all footnotes of the
>     ISV in your electronic edition. Contact us if you cannot extract the
> logo from
>     the downloaded files.
>
>     6. You agree to include the version and build number in your indicia
>     that describe the inclusion of the ISV in your electronic edition as
>     follows:
>         Holy Bible: International Standard Version, v1.10, build #5
>         Copyright (c) 2000 by The Learn Foundation. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
>
> Converting it will be a different matter since it's in a horrendously
> complicated format, but at least we have permission on a genuine copyrighted
> modern translation.  I'm not sure, though, how they will like our "charging"
> for CDs so I'll email them with details and see.

I had a PDF from a year or so ago and tried to extract the raw text, but
had no luck.  I believe now, they have a few different options for
format.

I hope the "charging" aspect doesn't come into play as we only ask for
$1.50 to cover our costs to produce the CD + shipping, and anyone may
make copies of the CD and give them away themselves.  (With the ISO
image idea, hopefully this will happen more.  Now I'm excited to get
this on the website.  Most of you have not seen an 'official' CD
distribution-- my fault mostly :(  ).  Not sure how this will affect the
CD license as a whole, though.  Currently, anyone may also 'sell' the CD
if they wish-- as stated under the GNU GPL.  I noticed other copyrights
of some of our modules stating similar 'no fee' restrictions.  Maybe
we'll need 2 images.  GPL and 'no charge'.  Not sure.

> Also, I've been venturing over into enemy territory: the Online Bible User
> Discussion forum.  I've been helping out to convert ISBE to OLB format since
> it seemed a whole lot nicer to spend an hour writing a script to tag for OLB
> than to let their users manually tag verses in 9000 articles.  In the
> process, I've had a number of discussion with Jonathan Dixon, who runs The
> Online Bible Software Site (TOLBSS -- http://www.ccel.org/olb/ - it's not
> affiliated with Larry Pierce or his company at all, but is supported by the
> good folks at CCEL like Harry Plantinga) and we've decided to collaborate a
> bit and help each other out with releasing new material for both packages.
> Quite a number of OLB users, Jonathan included, have expressed great
> interest in SWORD, largely because of its open-source nature.  Their major
> hangups seem to be interface and lack of support for a general book type.  I
> still can't understand the interface problem, so I asked Jonathan to give me
> some suggestions, which he said he would later today.

This is an awesome example of what having a positive attitude with other
organizations will produce.  Chris, your willingness to _spend_ your
time for others is so appreciated here.