[sword-devel] new FAQ

Michael A Hamblin sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 00:33:14 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Chris Little wrote:

> The way I would personally suggest that a FAQ be managed is through
> FAQ-O-Matic, which allows multiple maintainers to add and modify FAQ items
> easily over the web.  The CGI for FAQ-O-Matic is available at
> http://www.dartmouth.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jonh/faq.pl and an example
> implementation can be seen over at http://faq.horde.org/.

FAQ-O-Matic is ok, but kind of lacking compared to commercial faq
maitenence system that are overpriced. Is the Horde group using
FAQ-O-Matic? That's unbelievable :) It's not that spectacular IMO.

Anyhow that said, lemme get to the point :) A close friend of mine who
works in UTD's IR department has written a PHP+MySQL based FAQ system that
is more featurful than FAQ-O-Matic and looks a lot better in my opinion.
We are trying to talk the IR department into allowing him to release the
code GPL. Unfortunatly it's not yet GPL'd, a few people within IR are
trying to determine if they can legally release it. UTD needs to make a
name for itself in the sense of contributing to the open-software pool, so
we're trying to push that angle of releasing it. If it is released,
however, I'd recommend it :)

If you'd like the URL to take a look at the running alpha of it, let me
know. [End commercial] But an automated FAQ is a great idea :)

--
Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/