[sword-devel] Copyright Scripture distribution

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 00:02:17 -0700

At 12:12 PM 12/4/1999 -0700, Eric Krohn wrote:
>It may be that some sort of wrapper could be made to allow some of these
>free-for-downloading but not free-for-redistribution translations available
>to a Sword installation.  Of course, that may require changing the format
>of the downloaded translation and that change may run amuck of copyright.
>
>--
>Eric Krohn

You may have hit on something here! Sword can use the JFB on the web. It
may be able to do something like that for copyrighted texts. It may not be
safe to display copyrighted text from another site while making it look
like part of Sword. But clicking on a tab for say NIV could bring up a web
site in a browser keyed to the Sword current verse. I think that should be
safe as long as the web pages are displayed the way they were meant to be
displayed. Likewise, if something is allowed to be downloaded from a site
on the web it should be alright to automate that, to a point, as long as
all the related web pages are viewed and are displayed as they should be.

A problem with this could be outdated URLs. A lot of Swords all requesting
a bad URL could get someone mad. If the URLs could be updated, (changed,
added and deleted), automatically from the crosswire site, that could fix it.

Need crossreferences? Just http to a site that has them and browse them
there and then jump back to Sword. It could be automated. Even if Sword had
crossreferences this could get you to a site that had a different set of them.

This is probably just a fix for things not in Sword until they can be added.

Jerry