[osis-users] Markup for notes in RSV

Mike Hart just_mike_y at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 20 13:05:06 MST 2013

Hi Peter,

Examples of footnotes marked up in OSIS can be viewed at:

http://www.bibletechnologies.net./osistext/

Caveat emptor:

I think the version of OSIS described on this site is a very slightly older version than what the SWORD format supports, but the basics are the same. See the OSIS Changes page on the Crosswire site for details about what may vary from OSIS 2.1.1 within SWORD. I don't see anything affecting footnotes, but I deal in USFM almost entirely for the last couple years, and haven't paid attention to discussions on OSIS changes.

http://crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_211_CR

How are you tackling this project? What source are you using that you need to be worried about what appears in print? I would expect the Catholic Biblical Association to already have footnotes marked up in some electronic way. But since the RSV predates any standard markup by several decades,  I may be overly optimistic about the current level of technology in the Catholic Church for an older version like this.

Also, if I remember right, the Catholic RSV has some versification changes from the Protestant version that you will need to be aware of if you are trying to merge footnotes from a Catholic source to text from a Protestant source.  Psalms comes to mind first, but there are other books with small but critical differences that would cause special programmatic challenges with the project you propose.