[osis-users] subType="x-??" type="x-split" in crosswire.org KJV module

Kamal Abou Mikhael kamal.abm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 11:53:11 MST 2010

Hello everyone,

I am new to this list.  I recently began working on a project to put
Strong's numbers on the Arabic Smith and Van Dyke translation of the Bible.

I am using the output of the mod2osis command for the KJV and TR modules as
well as a New Testament Arabic text as the basis for my work.

When I reached Matthew 1:18 I noticed subType="x-28" type="x-split" in one
of the <w> tags of the KJV OSIS.  I realized that this maps two separate
words to the soruce text.  However, I noticed that in some cases, the
subType/type properties are placed in the <w> of the second word in the
split and sometimes in the first.  So I wanted to know on what basis this
was done.

Another issue of concern is the number following the "x-" in the value for
subType.  A quick look at OSIS documentation (
http://www.bibletechnologies.net/201.dsp) made it apparent that this stuff
is user defined.

Since I'm using the KJV module from crosswire.org, I would like to know if
the x-?? values are documented.  I know that there are 51 separate values
(from grep/sed)... any help would be highly appreciated for now.

For now I will proceed with marking subType values as x-77 and proceed with
my work.

In Christ,
Kamal