[osis-users] osis.py

Todd Tillinghast todd at snowfallpress.com
Tue May 11 16:19:49 MST 2010

Weston,

We as an OSIS committee could never agree on a structure for OSISWork.

The key sticking point was always "fall back".  There is a desire to
have the ability to fall back to a more generic Work if you don't
actually have the exact on referenced.

So if Bible.en.ABS.CEV.1999.wide was specified and all someone has
available to them is something else like Bible.en.ABS.CEV (though
possession of Bible.en.ABS.CEV.2005) or they simply have Bible.en that
matches then they can fall back as far as they need to.

The problem always was that there is Bible.en.ABS.KJV and
Bible.en.PublicDomain.KJV is you have the second value be language and
the third be the copyright holder and the fourth be the name of the
translation.  The most natural fall back in the KJV case is another KJV
edition rather than another translations from a given copyright holder.

In most cases the conflict is between a public domain text and a variant
of that same named edition that is not in the public domain.

All fall back aside, my preference is
1) Bible. (and this value IS declared in the schema)
2) language code
3) copyright holding organization
4) Edition name (if there isn't a name use the language code again)
5) The year of the edition/copyright
6) Any extra identifiers

We have about 100 done in this form.

But this is my no means a part of the standard as we were unable to
figure this one out.

Todd Tillinghast