[osis-users] Standard format for osisWork identifiers

Todd Tillinghast todd at snowfallpress.com
Mon Jul 12 23:11:48 MST 2010

Weston,

The only aspect that is determined by the standard is the use of
"Bible." at the first and that "." is the separator.

We could not agree on a standard hierarchy.  I have used the following:
Bible
language code (two or three letter)
Abbreviation for the copy right holder
Common name of the translation (CEV, GEN, NIV, etc..) OR the three
letter language code again if a minority language
The year of the translation

Examples of what I do (not specified by standard).
Bible.en.Public.KJV (this is the troubling one because there is also
Bible.en.ABS.KJV so fall back to Bible.en.ABS would happen before
Bible.en.Public.KJV which would be more appropriate.)
Bible.en.Biblica.NIV.1984 or Bible.en.IBS.NIV.1984
Bible.en.ABS.CEV.1995

I do find that for cases other than public domain texts like the KJV
that fall back to less specific names works.  (That is the point that we
got hung up on and one for which no solution exists.)

Todd