[osis-users] Standard format for osisWork identifiers

Weston Ruter westonruter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 13:53:07 MST 2010

I had a conversation with Troy about osisWork identifiers like:

Bible.LXX
Bible.en.KJV
Bible.en.NIV.1984
Bible.en.ABS.CEV.1995

I'm trying to nail down what the specific order that the segments should
appear in so that these identifiers can be constructed and recognized
programmatically based on the various information available. The goal would
be to be able to construct unique unambiguous work identifiers.

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org>wrote:

> Oh, it's a long debate about what the meaning of each segment of an
> osisWord id should be.  I think everyone agrees Bible.KJV and likely
> Bible.en.KJV are valid, but then I can't remember.  I think we punted and
> said the rest is publisher preference.  I have always argued for a sane
> fallback, so a very specific osisRef which requests an osisWork like
> Bible.en.KJV.CrossWire.2003 would yield progressively less useful results as
> you fall back segment by segment to a module available in the user's
> library.  That's my reasoning for the syntax I used and prefer.  I'm not
> sure how Patrick chose his example in the user guide.  Are there prose
> detailing the meaning of each segment anywhere that you've seen?  I can try
> to get clarity from the guys.

This is very helpful. It makes sense to consider the segments to be
increasingly narrowing in scope; the question is whether or not the
publisher is at a higher scope than the work itself, i.e. if the publisher
acts as a namespace prefix for the work abbreviation or if it serves as a
supplemental disambiguator for what the work abbreviation refers to.

I have not run across any prose detailing the order and possible values for
the osisWork segments. The manual merely says:

The osisWork attribute of each work element provides a short name used to
> refer that work and its declaration as a whole. As of version 2.1, OSIS
> specifies the recommended format described below for those short names.

But I can't find where "below" refers to, and I'm not sure this is referring
to the prose that is needed to document what the osisWork segments are.

Getting clarity regarding this would be a huge help!

The way I've written OsisWork in osis.py currently, I'm probably doing it
wrong:
http://github.com/openscriptures/api/blob/41ba6ad7b0d11346e9beff9e9cb7f623be00e8f1/osis.py#L166

Anyone have any insights?

--