[osis-users] OSIS Fragments (was: A Modest OSIS Proposal)

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Jan 14 09:32:21 MST 2010

davidtroidl at aol.com wrote:
> a)  Remote headers: One requirement for fragment markup, and effective
> document libraries and repositories, is the ability to link with a
> document containing a full header, rather than requiring the full header
> to appear in each valid OSIS document.  This header could appear in
> another regular OSIS document, or a separate 'bibliographic' document,
> designed merely to contain various header information.  This is
> especially useful in getting away from monumental, monolithic documents,
> toward a more layered approach of linking variants, notes and lexical
> information to an existing source document.
> b)  Virtual elements: A second requirement for distributing valid OSIS
> fragments through web services is a form of virtual, or shadow, element
> to supply the context of the given fragment.  A new global attribute for
> indicating this virtual status is essential to distinguish them from the
> actual markup of the document.

Adding (a) and (b) to the specification should indeed allow a brief,
contextualized, and validatable OSIS fragment.  I could imagine an
example of such for, say Mat.6.9, to be similar to:

########### Start of stuff required for validating fragment ############
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<osis xmlns="http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace
osisCore.2.1.xsd">
<osisText osisIDWork="NASB" osisRefWork="defaultReferenceScheme"
xml:lang="en">
############### New header external reference, (a) above ###############
<header
extRef="http://www.bibletechnologies.net/docRepo/headers/NASB.xml" />
########################## Document Context ############################
<chapter osisID="Matt.6">

########## Start of requested data. Note shadow attribute on ###########
###### elements provided to supply literary context, (b) above #########

<verse osisID="Matt.6.9">
<q who="Jesus" marker="“" sID="Matt.5.3.q1" shadow="true" />
Pray then, in this way: <q who="crowd" level="2" marker="‘"
sID="Matt.6.9.q1" />Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
</verse>

####################### End of requested data ##########################
</chapter>

</osisText>
</osis>

A few things to note.

1) shadow was not used on the divs and chapter tags to provide document
context.  Perhaps they should?  I did not supply them because my
processing code would look for <verse osisID="Matt.6.9"> to grab what I
need from this fragment.

2) the quote shadow from Matt.5.3 was put after the verse marker for the
purposes of ideal location for handling, i.e, if I was planning to
render anything for this shadow element, this would be the place I would
want to handle it.  Is this good or bad?

3) Notice the second level quote in this verse which hasn't an end.
This provides another good example for milestoneable <p>'s as they may
need to start within a fragment but not end in such.  Though I still
think the best argument for milestoneable <p> is mss markup: often
paragraph breaks are explicitly noted in the text, but their end is not
explicit (implied by end of letter, not in the document due to end of
mss fragment, etc.).  But this is all for another thread.

Would love to hear any other alternative examples for a fragment.

Troy