[osis-core] Re: USFM to OSIS mapping: Next Steps (last steps)

Jim_Albright at wycliffe.org Jim_Albright at wycliffe.org
Tue Apr 5 13:43:52 MST 2005

Looking over the latest Schema beta.

Here are some comments and questions.

The <hi type='emphasis'> and <hi type='acrostic'> seem to be out of place.

hi types:

acrostic
bold
emphasis
illuminated
italic
line-through
normal
small-caps
sub
super
underline

All other types describe format to apply to a segment. <hi
type='emphasis'> is not italic. It is emphasis.
Will these work? yes.  <seg type'emphasis'> seems more logical if you want
to make it a type on something and not <emphasis>.

seg types
        alluded
        keyword
        otPassage
        verseNumber <<<<<<<<<<<< how is this used? for inside of footnote?

        acrostic
        emphasis
seem to fit better here.
Thank you for adding <q type='citation'>.
Thank you for adding <q type='embedded'>
What is the most efficient manor of finding if an element is contained
within either of these milestoned elements in XSLT?

divineName is only used for YHWH and thus there is no need for a type on
it? There was a lot of discussion about this earlier. I just want to know
the final conclusion.

Variant Section Head example

Also shown: Paragraph, Section Head, Variant Paragraph
Picture scanned from: MRK 16:9-20 (TEV)
-----
handled differently.

Cross-Reference example

Example: 1 2 3
Also shown: Citation Line1, Citation Line2, Attribution
Picture scanned from: ACT 7:49-50 (NIV)

---------------
In order to get this would I mark this as a <reference> inside of <l>.

So Called example

Example: 1 2
Also shown: Paragraph
Picture scanned from: MRK 2:15-17 (NIV)
------
I don't find a way of marking up these "quotes". Possibly <q
type='soCalled'> or <seg type='soCalled'> or <soCalled>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hand example

Example: 1 2
Also shown: Paragraph
Picture scanned from: PHM 1:19 (TEV)
-----------
I don't find a way of marking this up. Suggest <hand> or <seg type='hand'>
See In Glossary example

Also shown: Title Main, Intro Paragraph, Intro List Item1
Picture scanned from: MAT introduction (Bible du Semeur)
-------
Is a see in glossary <index see='xxx'>?
Section Head Series example

Example: 1 2 3
Also shown: Paragraph
Picture scanned from: PRO 22:21-27 (TEV)

-----------------
How do you handle the series? I would suggest <div type='series'> or <div
type='list'>.

Verse Number Alternate example

Also shown: Verse Number, Chapter Number
Picture scanned from: GEN 32:1-2 (VP)
---------------------------
How do you handle a verse number alternate?
Chapter Number Alternate example

Also shown: Chapter Head, Section Head, Line1
Picture scanned from: PSA 10 (VP)
------------------
How do you handle chapter number alternate?
Inscription example

Also shown: Paragraph
Picture scanned from: MRK 15:26 (NIV)
-----------------
<inscription> handles this nicely. Thanks for adding it.
Inscription Paragraph example

Example: 1 2
Also shown: Paragraph, Paragraph Continuation
Picture scanned from: REV 17:5 (NIV)
-----------------
Would this be handled by
great</inscription><inscription>the mother of
prostitutes</inscription><inscription>and of the abominations of the
earth.</inscription></p>?
-------------
Inscription Paragraph example 2

Example: 1 2
Also shown: Paragraph, List Item1, Foreign
Picture scanned from: DAN 5:25 (NIV)
--------
And <p><inscription>mene, mene, tekel, parsin</inscription></p>?

Chapter Head example

Example: 1 2
Also shown: Line1, Doxology, Section Head Major, Chapter Number, Hebrew
Title, Section Head, Line2
Picture scanned from: PSA 42 (CEV)
I suggest using <div type='chapter'> to handle this

Thanks for looking over these examples and questions.
In order to preserve information that is richer in TE and OSIS I suggest
adding a style in USFM called something like:

\_TE_reserved ...\ _TE_reserved*
\_reserved ... \_reserved*
\reserved ... \reserved*
\comment ... \comment*
\xml ...        \xml*

TE would likely store information inside this tag in an XML form (that is
why the suggested name of XML). The name isn't as important as having a
place to store information. The \rem doesn't work as it is a paragraph tag
and this new tag is needed to go inside of paragraph tags.

Round tripping could then occur without loss of information for OSIS and
TE.

Jim Albright
704 843-0582
Wycliffe Bible Translators